Wednesday, September 01, 2004

"The Lip" Is coming to Durham

It is not officially official yet so I cannot, even unofficially, state that Maynard Ferguson and his band are scheduled to play a concert at Jordan High School in February. I have a date but that would sound to official so I won't unofficially post it here.

For those of you who do not know who Maynard Ferguson is, he is a trumpet player/ band leader. He is best known for is range and redefining Jazz in the 80s. He can generate some un-naturally high notes with a trumpet. He probably could have gone higher than he did but what was the point? Only dogs can hear those frequencies. He has been leading his band for some 40 years.... Rather than re-create a Maynard Biography in my web log I will just tell you it can be found at: http://www.gr8music.com/Ferguson,_Maynard/mf-bio.html

Why is this event important to me? I can honestly say Maynard Ferguson is 'the' reason I took up trumpet.

I was a freshman at Lee High School. I played bass clarinet in the 9th grade band. Mr. Gilmore, the band director, had noticed my interest in audio and had enlisted me to be principally responsible for recording all band performances and some rehersals; A position I took great pride in. As it turns out the responsibilities included recording the district High School Jazz festival. Bands program from all over Fairfax County would bring their jazz bands and perform for a panel of judges, who would provide critical feedback and a score or rating for there performance. Because they were a smaller school, Lee's band performed early in the day. As I remember it, they performed well, at least as well as you might expect a high school Jazz band to play. As the day wore on the bigger schools performed. I remember sitting there, at the apron of the stage with my head phones on, mouth open, just in awe of some of these performances and, some of the music. I can distinctly remember hearing,a big band rendition of James Taylor's "Country Road". Another Band, Chantilly I think, played "Give it One" by Maynard Ferguson. And then Lake Braddock's Jazz band played Maynard's Chameleon. Unbelievable. After that festival I was hooked. I went out and bought as much jazz and particuarly Maynard as I could. And while I never was able to play jazz, I was inspired to take up trumpet and still I try to play.

I remember as a Freshman at James Madison University when Maynard came to give a concert. It was Family day and mom came down and took me to that concert. It blew me away. I think mom enjoyed it as well.

Now Tyler listens to my Maynard collection. He downloaded most it down to his IPOD. In fact we listened to Maynard on the way to school this morning and I have him "screaming" in my ear as I type this.

You can hear a snippet of Maynard "Chameleon" at the following link.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/clipserve/B00000273G001001/0/104-3771130-4929529

You can hear a snippet of Maynard "Gospel John" at the following link.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/clipserve/B00000273G001002/0/104-3771130-4929529

Needless to say Maynard is getting up there in age. I think he is in his 80's at this point but he reportedly can still play, and his band, from what I understand, is as good as it ever was. I am, unofficially, really looking forward to taking my kids to the allegedly upcoming concert.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home