Monday, September 06, 2004

The weekend, in retrospect.

Karen is sitting in the love seat doing a crossword, Michelle is on the couch next to me doing a crossword, even thought she was supposed to be in bed 10 minutes ago. I am on the couch, my laptop where the name implies, writing this log entry.

Kyle made dinner tonight because Bob Michelle Karen and I drove Bob back to ECU. Michelle wanted to come and see where Bob was going to school. We unloaded the van, loaded his room then took off for home.

Tyler and Mel pretty much occupied each other much of the weekend. She came over this morning. Karen, Michelle, Tyler and Melodie played Carcassone. Mel went home right before we left to drive Bob back to school.

Earlier that morning, Bob went to Jamie's so they could spend every last minute with each other before heading in opposite directions on the road back to academia. As I expected, we did not see to much of Bob this weekend.

Bob loaded down the van with the rest of his stuff pretty much first thing after waking up. He took just the 'basics' to school previously because he was waiting until he moved into his own room. By basics I mean computer stuff, refrigerator, microwave, some food, and some clothes.

Sunday night Karen had to pick up her parent's at the airport. Their flight came in just before 11:00 PM. They went to Arizona for 10 days. Arizona! in the middle of the summer. What were they thinking. As I understand it, they visited the Grand Canyon and Played some golf and other than that did the tourist thing.

Michelle, Karen and I played a game of Carcassone before Michelle had to go to bed. This was the 'Hunters and gatherers' version as opposed to the 'Knights and Castles' version they played Monday. Kyle pretty much spent the majority of the weekend either banging on his drum practice pad or the computer keys.

Before dinner, Michelle and I went to the park and kicked the soccer ball around. We worked on some ball handling, fancy moves to fake out a defender in a one on one situation. And we worked on corner kicks. We had a good time though I admit after Kyle and my bike ride earlier in the day, my legs were a little wobbly.

Our bike ride covered around 14 miles; to the Durham Bulls Athletic Park, in downtown Durham, and back. We road on the American Tobacco Trail (http://www.ncrail-trails.org/trtc/ATT.HTM). A paved path along old train track bed. Meanwhile Karen Michelle and Tyler played Disc golf up at Valley Springs Park. Tyler apparently won... Again.

I could not sleep in Sunday morning because I needed to change the oil in the Stratus before Bob went to work. I was able to do it in record time. Unlike the ordeal I had with the Volvo.

Saturday night We played Phase 10, a card game. We won't talk about that game because I had a REALLY bad game. We did not get a chance to finish it before Melodie had to leave. Thank goodness, otherwise I would have come in dead last. Since we didn't finish the game, I didn't loose!

Danny, Kyle and Tyler's boss called me Saturday evening because he wanted to tell me how impressed he was with the boys work that day and the previous weekend. They worked from 9:00 AM through 5:30PM Saturday. They were bushed after working hard all day.

While the boys were working, Michelle, Karen and I played a round of Disk Golf. I pulled out a 2 shot victory after trailing Karen after the front 9.

Before golf I HAD to do the things I had been trying to get done for two weeks. I was able to cut my hair and change the oil in the Volvo. Bob took the Stratus so I could not get it done. What a pain the Volvo was. After all said and done, I had cracked the seal on the drain plug. Because I could not get the drain plug out, I resorted to banging on it with a hammer in an attempt to loosen it. I did not realize I had damaged it until after I put it back in and filled the engine back up with $20 worth of oil. About 10 minutes after finishing I noticed oil drips on the driveway. I guess I will either need to deal with the drips or drain the oil and replace the plug.

I woke up Saturday morning after Marimba pounced on me, wanting to be fed. I grudgingly got up, fed the cats and made pancakes for the 2 legged creatures in the house.

In retrospect it seems like a full weekend. Tomorrow I am taking the day off so Karen and I can go on a field trip to the Nuclear Power Plant with Michelle's class.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home