Sunday, September 12, 2004

The weekend, forwards

Ok, I went back and read the backwards weekend post. Don't worry I won't give up my day job to be a writer. I didn't come off as well as I hoped. So, this weekend I will do it forwards.

Starting with Friday...
Nothing. We did nothing. Drove some kids around. Sat in front of the tube... Basically that's it. I would like to say we relaxed. It just didn't quite feel relaxed. It was a long week.

Saturday the marching band performed at McDonald's. The local McDonald's donates a certain percentage of all sales made while the band performs. Of course you could not fit 120 kids and their instruments in a McDonald's restaurant, they performed in the parking lot. They played from noon to 2:oo PM. The band made close to $1100. Not a bad chunk of change for 2 hours worth of work.

Michelle spent the night at a friends house Saturday night. Melodie, Tyler, Kyle, Karen and I went to Howard and Nancy's, Karen's Parents, for dinner and to celebrate Nancy's birthday. Howard made virgin Pina Coloda's for everyone. Tyler and Kyle did not care for them. After dinner everyone, 'cept me, played 'hand and foot', a card game. Karen made an Almond Joy cake for desert. It was yummy.

Sunday was pretty quiet. Karen went for a walk with a friend, Allison, while Kyle and I went to the mall so he could buy a DVD. He bought "Pink Floyd: The Wall." After that we headed to Home Depot to pick up some lawn fertilizer.

When we got home, I trimmed the bushes and trees in front of the house. They were getting a little out of hand. The pear trees on either side of the driveway were starting to grab the car antennas. It is not the time of year to do any serious pruning but I did trim things back a bit.

Tyler went with Melodie's family to a Hispanic festival in Raleigh. This is the third year he has gone. He specially enjoys al the ethnic cuisine.

Karen, Michelle and I went to Michelle's girl scout meeting in the afternoon. Karen and I are not the leaders but Karen did volunteer to do the paperwork/treasury functions. And I volunteered to plan/lead a couple of meeting.

Now, like last week, Karen and Michelle are doing crossword puzzles and I am writing this log entry.

Other notable things:
Karen and Nancy's bowling league started up again. This is their third year. They named their team "Chocolate Chicks". If you know how much the both of them enjoy chocolate, you understand where that name comes from. They bowl Thursday mornings. So far their team has won 6 out of 8 games. Not to shabby.

At Nortel, my Director had a all hands meeting on Thursday. When asked how the layoffs were going to affect our departments, he said "We are not walking anyone out the door today". Which basically means nothing. He also said the layoffs in Raleigh should be done by the end of September. I am pretty skeptical of that as well. In the mean time I do my job one day at a time.

I was gonna put some picture in this post from the weekend but I could not find the cable to download the pictures from the camera. Maybe tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home