Monday, September 20, 2004

"Have a Blessed Day"

As many of you already know about me, I am not a particiarly religious man, at least not as defined by traditional or recognized religions that I am aware of. But that is a subject for another BLOG.

Along those lines I generally consider myself a pretty tolerant person. Folks can have their beliefs, ideas, strengths and weaknesses. That's what makes the world go round right. As long as you generally do not infringe on others rights or beliefs go for it.

One thing that has always bothered me is that "Christians" believe it is their right and duty to "save" those "non-believers". To me this is like the telephone solicitor trying to sign me up for a free foundation inspection for my home. I have no concerns about my foundation, thank you.

The National "Do Not Call" list has pretty much taken care of the calls from Acme Foundation Repair but on occasion I am still asked, by perfect strangers mind you, if I have found Jesus yet. Now, understand that if these people really had my best interests in mind it wouldn't bother me so much. But, based on my, albeit short, stint, with "Christian-ism" these folks are predominantly interested making themselves feel good by "helping a lost sole" and putting another notch on their biblical bed posts.

If a friend or co-worker comes to me and wants to discuss religion, I am generally up for that. These folks have earned my time and attention by putting up with me for some period of time. I will listen to their beliefs with an open mind as long as they reciprocate and don't condem me for not sharing their views. I have taken a lot from these kind of candid, non scripted discussions.

On the other hand, I had one co-worker, exasperated after her attempts to corral this lost sheep, insist I was not fit to parent because I was not exposing my children to Christian values. "The lease I could do is take them to church." That person did her cause no good.

I have noticed over the past year or so that I have been accosted less with the "Jesus Saves" approach and more with a simple "Have a blessed day" salutation. Most often I encounter this at the end of some business transaction, from a sales person or receptionist etc.. This use to annoy me a bit but after thinking about it, it does not bother me so much. These folks are, in effect, just wishing me a nice day. How many times have I done that.

I have always believe that the most effective way to convert folks to your beliefs is to lead by example. If someone see a positive, happy, confident individual, stranger or not, they may wonder what that person has to be so happy and positive about. I will typically provide a simple "Have a good day" at the end of a conversation. It says I am in a good place and I wish the same for you. BUT, and here is the cleaver part, "Have a blessed day" says "I am in a good place because I believe in God/Jesus, and I wish the same for you." Now me as the receiver of this gesture can take it as simply a kind gesture or, a kind gesture in the name of God. Either way it is, to quote Stephen Covey, "a Win - Win situation."

Here are a few news snippets on this very subject:

I like this new trend in evangelism. Now, rather than having to be rude and walk away from, shut the door on or hang up on the holy rollers, I can simply reply to them a confident "You have a good day".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home