Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Ya gotta practice

I was listening to NPR a week or so ago, on my way into work, and I heard a quote from Martha Graham. I did not know at the time who Martha Graham was but who ever she is, what she said struck a chord with me. The following quote was taken from a "This I believe" radio essay she did back in the 1950s. It was re-broadcast On NPR April 4th 2005.

“"I believe that we learn by practice. Whether it means to learn to dance by practicing dancing or to learn to live by practicing living, the principles are the same. In each it is the performance of a dedicated precise set of acts, physical or intellectual, from which comes shape of achievement, a sense of one's being, a satisfaction of spirit..."

Martha Graham's words should not have a revelation to me, after all...

I am a soccer coach I teach the players that the repetition of practice is the only way to make the mechanics of the game second nature so during the game you can think about the higher levels of the game, the mental aspects of the game, the strategy. I found, when I was playing soccer, I needed to keep practicing and playing the game in order to train my body not only to perform at a higher level but to prevent injury to myself and others.

I play the trumpet, not so much lately but when life was not so crazy.... I know, and have taught my kids that picking up the horn or the drum sticks even 10 minutes a day, even if they do not read a single note off a page, even if of doing nothing than playing long slow scales or lip slurs, or running through percussion rudiments on your leg, It keeps the muscles trained. It keeps your ears trained to keep things in tune, It keeps the internal metronome in time... You practice so when you are performing you don't have to worry about the mechanics of playing and can concentrate and excel in the higher levels, performing music, not just notes.

I have 4 kids. I don't know how many times I have heard "I don't have any homework", or "I already know how to do this stuff, I don't need to do homework". As a parent I try to convey that they need to do the homework not only to learn or solidify their understanding of the subject or skills at hand but also to train their brain to see a type of problem or situation and know without thinking, how to approach it. You do homework to not only pass the test that may be coming up but to actually 'Learn'. To be able to, when a problem, either in school or in practical application, comes up that is perhaps not exactly like what was taught, you don't have to think about the mechanics of solving that problem/situation. Having the knowledge or skill as second nature allows you to concentrate on how to most efficiently and effectively address the problem or task at hand; a higher level of knowledge.

Karen and I ask our kids to perform tasks around the house. Sure it is appropriate for them to participate in the running of and care for the household. But it also is practice. Practice performing practical tasks, cooking cleaning etc.. This practice not teaches them that putting a red shirt in the laundry with whites will often results in pink underwear, or that if the trash is left over night with cantaloupe rinds in it, the next morning the whole house stinks and ants will invade. Chores also train their mind to not accept clutter or dirt as normal, that clean is good, dirty is bad. The hope is, when they get out on their own, they will instinctively wash the dishes when they are dirty. That they will dump the trash when it is full or do the laundry when it is dirty so rather then getting bogged down with mountains of laundry and ant and rats running a muck in their home they will be able to concentrate on the higher level aspects of life, career, love and happiness.

Heck even Babies need to practice sleeping, getting to sleep and being able to fall back to sleep if they wake in the night. Any parent who raised their child past the age of 6 months can tell you how important this is....

Martha Graham's words should not have a revelation to me but they are.

Maybe I knew it on some level but it took this radio show to bring to the surface that life needs to be practiced.

I need to practice smiling so when, for a moment, I exchange the glance of a passerby in the hall, a smile instinctively comes to my face. Who knows that person may someday be my boss.

I need to practice self confidence so when an good opportunity arises, my first instinct is "sure, I can do that" instead of "I don't think I can do that".

I need to practice being happy, so when despair comes I will have the strength of mind and instinct to return to the positive instead of succumbing to darkness.

I need to practice patience, with myself and other, so I instinctively take a deep breath and move forward rather then having frustration prevail preventing the eventually success in my endeavors or the success in my relationship with others.

I need to practice speaking and writing so when it is important the right word flow.

I need to practice listening so when discussions become emotional I can instinctive hear what is meant if perhaps not said.

I need to practice a positive outlook So my instincts are to see the good in people and situations instead of the bad; So small tasks don't become huge chores; So I can recognize opportunities and not mistake them as roadblocks. And I instinctively trust rather than distrust.

I need to practice balance in my life so when pressures of the job are high and time commitments are long, I will be able to again return to normalcy when the pressures lessen.

I need to practice caring so when someone is in trouble, I will instinctively do what I can to assist rather than look away.

I need to practice life so, when it is almost over, I can concentrate on what lay ahead rather than what I should have done in the past.

1 Comments:

Blogger Tim Grissom said...

I need to practice proof reading my blogs. Sorry for all the mistakes....

4:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home