Friday, April 08, 2005

What's been happening.

I enjoy writing about random thoughts and beliefs. I enjoy ranting about political events etc. But I know most folks that read this blog regularly really are more interested in what the family is up to etc. So I will put aside my philosophies and opinions, for at least a day, to catch my loyal readers up on the NC Grissom's happenings.

The news of the day concern employment activities. I will start with me. Nortel has yet to officially announce it, for whatever reason, but it has been unofficially confirmed that it's RTF/Raleigh lab will be target of significant cost reductions. These reductions have been rumored involve between 40% and 80% layoffs in key programs. One of which is the program I am funded under. The writing is on the wall in other words. It is a stressful environment and there is more work to do than any of us can handle. Anyway I have an opportunity to transfer to another position within Nortel, one that does not, currently at least, have the threat of layoffs looming. In fact they are filling new positions. This opportunity is in Richardson Texas. I have not officially been offered the position because I need to discuss this with my current management before this can happen. I have an appointment with my manager on Monday. The job, as I said, is based out of Richardson. However I have an agreement with who would be my new VP that I can telecommute from Durham/RTF till at least the end of the next school year, Tyler's Senior year, and perhaps indefinitely. We may still contemplate moving but it would not be immediate, if for no other reason that the company will not assist with relocation. I will provide more details about the job etc. once things are finalized.

Bob, as I think I mentioned before, Lost his job at ECU 3 weeks after he started in January; Budget cuts, he effectively was laid off. The sad part was in order to take the job he had to quit his Apple Store Job; conflict of interest or something like that. The management there are very impresses with Bob, so much so that they let him stay on the payroll through the fall semester and work a weekend here and there, so he could work for them over holiday and summer breaks. Unfortunately, after he resigned, they hired a bunch of folks and there are no openings right now. He has been looking other for Summer employment opportunities. He does have a job with the Durham Bulls lined up. He will work 5 -6 hours each day the Bulls have a home game. In fact he is comming home this weekend to work. Bob is also looking for another part time job. I have a friend that works at Car-Max that said he will try and push his application through. That would be good money for him, and good experience. They provide professional sales training etc..

Tyler has completed the drug screening and pre-tests etc for his job at Harris Teeter (Grocery store chain). He probably could have started sooner but he is involved in the orchestra for the HS spring musical production of 'Lil' Abner. So I believe he starts sometime after the 15th of April. On top of that Tyler also is responsible for maintaining the field markings for the local soccer associations. Bob had this job for a couple of years, Tyler assisted for a while, He took it over and now Kyle is assisting. It pays well and is relatively flexible, as long as the fields are ready for the games.

Kyle, as I mentioned has been helping with the soccer fields. Since Tyler has been so busy with the play Kyle has been working most of the hours. Karen, Michelle and I, and even Karen's Mom helped last weekend as well, so the fields would be ready for the first week of practice. Kyle also applied for a position at Edy's Ice Cream. It is a new store close by the house. He should hear something today. The manager indicated she wanted to start training on Monday so... Keep your fingers crossed.

Michelle... well she desperately wants to earn money. She wants to buy an IPOD shuffle for our Arizona trip in June. As I said she helped out with the soccer fields, she has washed a couple of cars etc.... She is getting close to her goal. More long term she said she would like to take the red cross baby-sitting course so she can, do 'mommy assistant' for a while; help keep an eye on kids while parents are busy out in the yard etc. Then eventually start traditional sitting when she is a little older and confident.

Of course Karen is working keeping the rest of us from completely falling apart. I am not sure the family, myself included, have full appreciation for how much she does for each of us. Not a glamorous job but the most important of them all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home