Monday, April 04, 2005

Everyone out of the pool!

It's Monday again, and again I sit here at my desk, a backlog of work weighing heavily on my mind. This Monday morning, like most Monday mornings, I resolve that this week is the week I will pull it all together. I sit here at my computer an plan how I will defeat the sins of the past. The sins of other, and the sins I myself committed; Software sins.

This Monday morning, on the drive in to work, I reflected on what seems to be an endless stream of past Monday mornings and I realized it is as if I have been floating on one of those lazy rivers, like at the water parks. You get on an inner tube and you can close your eyes and float down stream... well forever. Or till they close the park. I need to get off my inner tube and work my way to the stairs and get on a different ride.

There's the water slide; something with it's twists and turns but ultimately ends up going somewhere other than where you started. There are usually a wide variety and levels of water slides. Water slides can move pretty quickly and can be exhillerating but ultimately come to an abrupt end. At which time you have to pick yourself up, walk the walk and climb the stairs all over again. When I was younger I loved the water slides, back when I have more energy and confidence that could get off the ride and quickly find another. Now, my knees hurt if I take too many stairs and too many twists and turns makes me queezy.

Perhaps the wave pool. You can wade in as deep as you like, the waves are predictable and periodic and yet depending on where you are positioned provide endless opportunities and paths. The wave pool is usually the most crowded attraction at the park and you often end up bumping into, or you patch redirected by other swimmers. The more eager of the swimmers are constantly jockeying for the best position on the waves and unless you are aggressive, you have to settle for the shallower, or more tame section of the wave. Wave pools have never been very satisfying for me. Ultimately you spend a lot of time positioning yourself fighting with the youngsters for the prime position. And when it comes down to it the water will take you where it is going and you ultimatly, unless you are a strong swimmer, have little influence on your path.

Significant personnel cuts are eminent at Nortel. In the past, if you worked hard and positioned yourself well, you were likely to be sparred. Now, mostly all that is left are the good swimmers. We are all at risk and cuts target programs more than people. Over the past several years, many around me have been not only whistled out of the pool but kicked out of the park all together; forced to venture on to other opportunities different industries. One past colleague, with some buddies, has opened up a chain of pizza shops. Others pick up contract work here and there but have not been able to find anything permanent. And others still have not found a thing and have been unemployed wading around for over a year.

For me to keep my head above water, I need to get out of this endless stream of Mondays. Plot a new course. Heck maybe even open up my own water park. At the very least, for now, I must at least be prepared for when the lifeguard blows the whistle and points at me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home