Monday, October 04, 2004

What a Weekend

Friday, I was able to finish up my 2 hot issues for work so Michelle and I took off around lunch time to finish up Karen's birthday shopping. Michelle is fun to shop with. We have similar styles, we both like to wonder around looking at lots of different thing, finally picking somthing out, or not. Karen is a much more efficient shopper and gets frustraited at times with me because I slow her down. Anyway, we had a nice lunch at Jason's delli and shopped a couple of hours while Karen and her mom drove to Greenville to pick up Bob.

Bob Worked Friday night then went out with Jamie to meet up with one of the returning heros from Iraq.

Karen, Michelle and I got up early Saturday morning because we had to be at the soccer pitch at 8:15 and it's a good 25 minute drive. Tyler and Kyle had to get up and be at the school at 8:30 in order to prepare for the marching competitions that day.

Right before the Michelle's game, I was warming the team up. I was in the goal and, well, I did somthing, and my back went out again. Not a great move, specially since I would be in the car and in football stadiums all day. It made for a long weekend for me. I will survive however.

The game went well. We played a strong team and did well against them. We didn't win but overall played well. We identified some areas we need to work on for sure. Michelle did score one of the three goals our team scored. She also had a good defensive game.

Right after the game we drove on to Mt. Pleasant High School, located this side of Charlotte; around a 2.5 hour drive. We rented 2 movies for Michelle to watch on the way there and back so the time went quickly for her. The band marched in the first competition around 3:00. There were some issues in the second half of their show but overall the band played well. They took first place in their division and second place overall.

In between competitions Karen, Michelle and I went to "Sonic Drive-In" for dinner. It is a 50's style drive in where the waitresses wear rollerscates and bring the food to your car. Michelle liked that.

The second band competition was right down the road at Central Caberrus High School. The band performed around 8:30. Their performace was 10 times better than the afternoon performance. But again there were a couple issues. For instance, at one point in the show, Tyler is marching very quickly and has to squeeze through 2 other folks, at least one carrying a base drum. His citation cord on his uniform got cought on the drum as he passed. No one fell and they both were able to recover but it was a tense moment. The band came in third place in their class and third place overall. The competition was tougher than in the afternoon. Overall they were pleased. These were the first performances of the year and the first year ever the band has marched the whole show this early in the season.

Michelle Karen and I arrived home around 1:00 AM. We were bushed and I could barly move. The boys did not get home till around 3:00. It was quite a long dayall around. I have to tell ya, Michelle was an angel the whole day. We were afraid she was not going to enjoy herself. Driving so long then sitting in the stands watching the bands. It's not for everyone. But she was terrific and said she really enjoyed it.

Sunday morning everyone Slept in... alittle. Michelle was the first up. I think she got up around 8:30. Karen and I got up around 9:00. I made Chocolate Chunk Pancakes for Karen's Birthday breakfast and did some laundry (I had to wash the soccer uniforms for the game at 1:30.) We spent a long time talking to the boys about Saturday's performances (when they finally woke up).

Michelle's game Sunday was just amazing. We played another tough team. We got off to a slow start with the other team scoring a quick 3 goals in the first half. But in the second half, my goodness, we really came together. Michelle score FOUR goals in the game. We ended up loosing six to four but I was very proud of the team and how they played. It was really tough to come up with player of the game, even with Michelle scoring 4 goals. So the other coach and I picked 3 players of the weekend, including the Saturday game. Michelle was among the honorees.

We got home from the game around 3:15. I wrapped some of Karen's presents and took a minute or two to relax. Bob got home from his carousing at 4:30, we opened presents and then off we went. Karen, Bob and I headed back to Greenville. The three of us ate dinner then we dropped Bob off at his dorm. Karen and I got back to the house just before 10:00, watched a little TV then off to bed.

Karen's heart thing was getting better before the weekend. But we found that the loud booming of the drums and blaring brass started the PVCs up in full force. Interesting.

My back is a little better. I still have pains dowm my legs but as long as I don't move around to much I am fine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home