Thursday, September 30, 2004

The Weekend Ahead

I received a less than positive response from one of my readers for going political in my last post. I guess I don't do politics well. I was listening to NPR on the way to work yesterday and they did yet another piece on gay marriages. That's what got me started.

Tonight Michelle and I have soccer practice. We practice only an hour a week then play a game on the weekend. This week we play two games; Saturday and Sunday. It's tough to teach the kids anything in one hour a week but we are in a recreational league. We are just there to have fun and if we learn some soccer at the same time we are doing well. Of course "Winning doesn't matter" ;-) I will post the game results on Monday. Oh, By the way, I won't give up my day job (voluntarily at least) to become a sports writer either.

;-)

The boys, Tyler and Kyle, have evening band rehearsal tonight from 5:00 - 8:00. They have two marching competitions this weekend in Charlotte. Karen Michelle and I are driving down to Charlotte straight from Michelle's game. We probably won't get home till after 2:00 Am. A long day. The band has not been to either of these competitions before. At least not since Bob was a freshman. We don't know how good the other bands are typically. We do know of a couple of really good bands that will be at one or the other so I can guess neither competition will be a cake walk.

Jazz Band tryouts are coming up. Tyler auditioned last year and did not make it. He is pretty sure he will make it this year. The jazz band is one of the best in the state and competition is fierce. Kyle is also interested in trying out. He knows his chances are slim because there are two really good drummers returning from last year's band but he wants the experience of trying out. Who knows perhaps he will get to play auxiliary percussion. His drum teacher is working on jazz set with him to get him prepared.

Bob comes home this weekend. He hasn't been home in a month. Karen will drive down Friday morning and pick him up after his last class and drive back. Bob works Friday night at the apple store, m aybe Saturday I am not sure. We will not see him Saturday but hopefully he will spend some time with us Sunday, Karen's birthday, before we drive him back.

Bob has some buddies from High School who are in the Marines. They are supposed to be returning from Iraq sometime this weekend. That will be good. It is always terrible to hear that a soldier is killed or injured in the news but specially when you know these kids and their families personally. It kinda hits a little harder. Last year while we were at Disneyworld with the band we got word that one of the boys was injured. His sister and girlfriend were both in the band. It was tough on both of them. It turns out he was not seriously injured. I think the story was a bomb or mine exploded near by and he lost hearing in one ear for a few days. Anyway he is fine now.

I hope everyone has a good weekend. At least no more storms are in the forecast!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home