Monday, November 27, 2006

Back in the saddle again...

Well It's 5:45 PM and apparently I survived.

Karen drove me to the hospital at 5:00 AM. We arrived at the hospital just before 5:30. I went to the desk to register and it turned out they had no record I was on the OR schedule!!!

It all worked out in the end. It was just sort of paperwork snaffu. But the 2 surgeons and the anesthesiologist were all aware of the scheduled procedure So with a short delay I was called back and prepped for surgery. I had to put these funky tights on to help prevent blood clots. I put the silly backless gown on and the IV line was paced. I was told they were going to give me somthing through the IV to relax me, though I really was not nervous at all) and the next thing I remember I am waking up in the recovery room with Karen by my side and a pair of funky inflatable shoe like things that alternate inflating and deflating every 5 seconds or so. Kinda makes it tough to nap....

They gave me this little magic button that administers pain meds when pushed. It won't administer the drug more than every 10 min.

I pushed the button 4 times in the first hour, one other time after I sneezed (ouch). But other than that I have had to use it only when told to by the nurse, before the physical therapist came and before getting up etc..

I have gotten up and walked the halls, with a nurse, 2 times now. They removed the catheter, thank goodness, and I was able to dress myself with PJs I brought from home.

For breakfast I was given broth and juice and such. At lunch I graduated to semi-liquid foods. I had cream of wheat, soda, and ice cream. For dinner I ordered pork loin with roasted potatoes, a salad, some veggies, a roll and cheese cake. It arrived at around 4:30, kinda early. I had just gotten myself situated, taken a bite of roll and a orderly comes in to take me to radiology for an xray. My dinner was still warm when I got back so I sat in the visitor chair and ate dinner.

After dinner the nurse and I took a stroll around the ward and helped me connect up my computer. The hospital installed in-room internet just 2 weeks earlier. The nurse thinks I am the first to use it. Not only do they have wireless but also wired ethernet ports in the rooms. So here I sit, blogging away.

The back does not hurt very much. Mostly due to laying around on it. The incision site / my stomach, probably hurts the most, Specially when I sneeze or caugh.

Other than that I am doing well....

Karen brought me a DVD so I will probably watch that here in a couple of minutes.


OH, By the way, I received the Kineflex disc, the one I wanted. :-)

I'll keep you informed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home