Monday, November 13, 2006

Party line? Shame on you!

With the move(s), the medical issues, selling and buying houses etc, I have pretty much tuned out much of what has gone on around the country and around the world for the past several months, specially politics. Normally I do not read the news paper but I get my news via internet sources. Since moving, I have not found a good local source for news. And with this part of the country being on the conservative side, I try to avoid political conversations with folks around here, at least until I get to know them a little better. So I am a little out of touch.

But running up to Tuesday, election day, it was a little difficult to ignore the politics all together. In the days prior to and including election day. It was suggested to me more than once that I should vote the straight democratic ticket so we can "stop Bush". I am no Bush lover. In fact would like very much for him to go sit in a closet somewhere til the end of his term of office. There is probably an intern around who could find him one. But to you who would encorage me to vote the straight ticket, under any political climate, I say Bunk! This is a democracy ... no... wait, It is a republic.... Regardless. Everyone has the right and duty to vote the way they feel is best for the country. But I in good conscience I cannot cast a vote for someone I know nothing about just because they are one party or another. There are plenty of idiots on either side of the isle. And I do not want to be a party to putting them in office just because of their party affiliation.

It is my duty as a citizen of this country to vote, and my duty to do my homework before I vote. I do vote regularly, and I make an effort to at least familiarize myself with the candidates. On the other hand, if I do not know any of the candidates in a particular race, I do not cast a vote in that race. It is my opinion a no vote is better than an ignorant vote.

I understand the "Message to Bush" concept. And apparently the elections did send some sort of message to Bush and the rest of the Republican party. But at what cost? Did a Democratic School board member get elected who supports open and free access to pubic schools for any undocumented/illegal immigrants. Or democratic state representitive who favors placing vending machines in schools to help subsidize the school budget. Or perhaps a state senetor was elected who wants to tax the internet on a per kilo-byte basis... Those people exist.

At the same time perhaps a republican congressman or state representitive, lost. One who does not want to impose their religion upon others, who belives in personal liberties and responsibilities and open dialog, Who does not support Bush's foreigh policy.

The right/duty to vote is important. I hate to see it trivialized and diluted by strong party affiliation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home