Wednesday, June 08, 2005

The Power of a Symbol

(This has sparked some emotions with some folks. Before you comment, and I welcome comments, I invite comments, please read the other comments made and my response)

I am a white male, middle class American. And, as such, I have lead a pretty sheltered life. Sure I see atrocities and famine and hatred and decease but only the media, while enjoying the comfort of my living room couch.

Two weeks ago, on Wednesday night, 3 separate incidents of cross burnings were reported in Durham. The sites were, from what I can tell, not in the front yards of individuals. And based on the news reports really not at particularly racially charged areas of the city. But there where reports of some KKK literature found at least one of the sites. Someone, I guess, wanted to make a statement but were not very particular about where they made it.

For the past couple of weeks, after the burnings, there has been significant news coverage. The Mayer is making speeches and the police are investigating, there are prayer vigils going on... Now, the FBI is involved. For me there is much to much being made of the events. In fact all the attention is, I imagine, exactly what the perpetrations were counting on. It seems counter productive. It seem like it is encouraging further demonstrations and similar acts. The Cross burning is really not the topic I want to investigate here. More the symbol and how it affects individuals and the community.

What makes the Burning of the cross different? I do not remember the racial tensions of the 60s and 70. It did not reach suburbia Virginia or perhaps I just did not notice. If I were black or the crosses were burning in my front yard, I might... no, I am sure I would feel differently. But I struggle with the attention being given here. After all, the burning cross is just a symbol, albeit a strong symbol but just a symbol. The actions were apparently not directed at a particular individual, not over violent actions or threats were made against any persons. Other than open burning on public property, against local laws within city limits, the KKK or whoever has the right to display the symbol. Why is this a federal case?

There are plenty of symbols out there can offend people. Heck do you know how many crosses are in public places. Just as the burning of the cross or the swastika represents hatred and violence to some, There have been plenty of people killed and persecuted under the guys of Christianity. Yet, it is acceptable to display the cross... or the Star of David or the Flag of the United states.

I am in no way condoning the probable intent of the Durham cross burning; To announce hatred for, disdain for the black community. And in fact there may be implied threat of violence to some. None of those things I believe in or support. Just as I have no intent of displaying a swastika or the confederate flag. But it is because I do not believe in what those symbols represent. And I have some level of respect for those people around me that may, based on the historical significance of these symbols, take offence to displaying therefore implicitly supporting them. I do not display a crucifix, a star of David or the flag of Communist China. However, I will, on occasion display the American flag. Because I believe in and am proud of, in principal, what it stand for. More accurately I believe in what it stand for TO ME. And it stand for my right to believe in, however misguided it may be, what ever I want to believe in. To practice those believes as long as it does not bring harm to others.

Burning a cross is politically insensative, particularly in this part of the country, specially in Durham where racial tensions are on the rise. Moreover I have no problem with people expressing their disdain for the symbols and displaying their own beliefs. But other than the fact there was an open flame within the city limits and the flames and the symbols were displayed without permit on public properties, It should not be a pursued as a crime, specially a federal crime. It is a Symbol of someone's beliefs.

I don't like folks waving confederate flags around, or hanging them in the pickup truck, draped over their gun rack. It makes me cringe a bit. To me it means "screw you I am an redneck and proud of it". Do I tear the flag off the truck? No, of course not, but because of more than self preservation and the legality of the action. I respect their right to believe in what they believe in; as misguided as it may be. When I see someone with the confederate flag sewn across their jean jacket, Instead of taking offence I think to myself, "Thank you very much for letting me know that you are no one I want to associate with." Prejudice, sure. I am sure there are plenty of confederate flag waving folks who are good people. But the fact is the symbol means "red neck" to me and I do not subscribe to that way of thinking.

Folks make a conscious decision to display symbols, often to affiliate themselves with a cause and/or to attract like minded individuals. The effect in some cases, intended or not is also to repel opposite minded individuals. I will use me as an example. Christians wear the crucifix to identify themselves as Christians. I admit that, without knowing an individual, I will be more careful in the words I choose or topics I discuss with that person until I know them better if they are openly displaying a crucifix. I find myself avoiding overtly "Christian" individuals. Mostly because I just don't want to be "saved" or judged by Christian standards of conduct, or have to listen to the drivel. My point is that the crucifix, the symbol, has that affect on me and how I interact with people. Is that the intended affect for most folks that wear a crucifix? Probably not.

The symbols you display say a lot to folks around you but is it the message you intent to send? I wear, on occasion, the Lance Armstrong "Live Strong" arm band. I wear it because I think his story is incredible and I want to support his efforts in finding a cure for cancer. I do not intend it to mean that I am gay. But I have heard, in some circles, a yellow arm band indicates homosexuality. Along those lines, I was listening to NPR yesterday. There was some anthropologist/sociologist on talking about marketing to the gay community. I did not hear the whole story but apparently in the early part of the 1900's wearing a red necktie was a symbol indicating the wearer was homosexual. You know how often I have worn a red tie? In both cases some folks may have been disappointed to find they misinterpreted my intentions.

I do not concern myself with every single potential interpretation every potential symbol. But like it or not you have to be careful about the message others receive. I try and represent myself in the things I wear and the products I buy etc.. Still, I am sure there are folks around the world that would take one look at me and hate what I represent to them. I do consider how others perceive me. Specially if it might affect me directly; my being considered for a job or how others directly interact with me or my family. But at some point the problem is theirs not mine.

I do not want to belittle the tragedy and suffering that occurred under the sign of the swastika or the terror instilled by the burning cross. They have significant historical weight and dredge up deep emotions for many but Symbols are just signs. They hurt only those who let themselves be hurt by them. To the folks in Durham who are in an uproar because they feel they are being attacked by the burning crosses, In today Durham, those crosses are more a symbol of ignorance than symbols of hatred. Symbols of the ignorance of those who believe in what they represent.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tim, I can tell you don't really understand what a burning cross represents. The KKK burned crosses long before the 60's and 70's but no matter when you see one you know there is an intent to destroy, kill, intimidate, burn houses, churches with people in them. There was a period of time when police and other law enforcement agents ignored these threats and many suffered as a result. The burning cross can frighten almost anybody.

As for the cross in general the crucifix is generally worn by the Catholic tradition and a simple cross without Christ by those who are Christians of other traditions. Of course, to wear a crucifix or cross you are symbolizing or meaning that you believe in Jesus Christ, the son of God who suffered and died on a cross to save sinners. That means that if you commit a sin you can be forgiven.

You had an early Christian education but then decided not to continue to learn about christianity and it's place to people of the Christian faith. Have you made an attempt to read or study the Bible? I enjoy opinions freely given but in my view I don't tend to listen unless there is credibility. if a person is to criticize the Christian cross, they need first have a background, understanding or knowledge of the Christian tradition. Swastikas put on Jewish houses or synogogues or the KKK symbol. the burning cross, represent bigotry in it's most treacherous form.

2:06 PM  
Blogger Tim Grissom said...

I opened a can here I realize. It was not really my intent... not really.

The final intent of this blog really was to investigate the power of the symbols mentioned and the affects. I did not do the topic justice due to time constraints and interruptions (blast work after all.) I had a couple of different threads or thoughts going in the development of the blog, as I usually do, when writing an editorial type blog. Usually I write until one thread or another becomes strongest or more interesting then re-work the blog along those lines. I did not have the time to do that adequatly this morning.

The burning bothered me because I am nieve about the realities of bigetry how bigetry affects peoples lives. More generally It bothers me that I cannot understand basic racial and poverty issues. I cannot understand decisions people make, their statements or their rational for their actions and life decisions. I to easy to fall into racist thinking of "they are just bing ignorent". The cross burning events brought these feeling to the surface again. That was the thought that I started with this morning. It thread was hard to develop in any meaningfull way at least in the time and space presented so it kinda weined.

The second thread that developed was an attempt to put into prospective that just because someone finds somting disagreeable, it does not necisarily mean it is wrong. As ugly as the Cross burning and swastika are to me and most americans, others hold feel equally as strongly that they represent truth and justice. To many around the world, the American flag represents many of the same injustices as the Burning of the cross. It is all a matter of perspective.

And another thread that crept in was my belief that people inherantly have the right to believe what ever the heck they want to believe.

The burning represents hatred and biggotry in the worst form. But as misguided as these believes are, Americans have the right to believe what they believe. Furthermore they have the right, within bounds, to express their beliefs. Those bounds are always a point of contention in leagal terms but whatever those boundries are, the right to express your beliefs is a right all Americans, in theory, have. But just as those that hold those beliefs do not have the right to harm, threaten or otherwise do injustice to others, Those with opposing views also share these same restraints.

A third thred or point was that Symbols, even netorious symbols like the Confederate battle flag can mean different thing to different people.

The use of the crusifix was intentional here. It is a strong symbol for Christians.

Your statement "...Of course, to wear a crucifix or cross you are symbolizing or meaning that you believe in Jesus Christ" supports my point. It is not a given what wearing the crucifix means. That is what it means to you and other Christions no doubt. But concider what it can also stand for: "If you do not believe in Jesus Christ, like me, then you will burn in hell." That may be a bit of an extreme example but not out of the realm. In my experience many "Christians", perhaps zelots, but at least self proclaimed "Christians" are not tolerent of opposing views. What the bible says is truth and if you don't agree then you are just ignorent and doomed for all eternity. That persons interpretation of the bible is truth.... It is that pompus, narrow-minded, hypocritical, and don't forget judgemental attitude that is what drove me from organized religion, and particiarly Christianity.

My religious beliefs or disbeliefs and how I came to them are really off topic. I can take that discussion with you off line if you like. The point being made is that symbols can mean different things to different people. And that one mans truth is anothers fabel. But we all have the right to choose.

I want to reiterate that I do not know the terror that is commonly associated with the cross burnings, the KKK the Swaztica or the attempted extermination of the Jews. I in no way mean to belittle or reduce the severity or the real fear/danger/horrors these folks felt and experienced.

But these symbols carry significant weight in todays society. So much so that perhaps they make us loose perspective of the real issues.

4:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm just going to put what I personally feel right now from reading this and hearing other peoples oppions.

I don't think we should really look at it from what it has done in the past from a legal stand point. I don't think that the FBI should be involved, I'm sure there are my improtant things to deal with then a a cross on fire (I'm not trying to get into what it stands for). Also since it was just a burning cross and nothing more then how big of deal it is for a legal stand point I believe isn't the right thing. If there were damage to things/people then it would be differen't and it would be a bigger deal.

Personally it doesn't effect me to much because I'm not religous, and it wasn't like someone had been injuryed or died. It was just a way for some expressing there ideas. It was illegal where they did it (from what I have heard), so they shouldn't have done it there, plain and simple. But ofcourse I know alot of people this angers because of there beliefs and backgrounds which are different then mine.

I'm sure there might be something the would cause me anger. But honestly I don't know of anything like that right now.

I'm open to basically anything anyone believes. I don't have to support it, I just have to be ok with that they believe in something different, and if they choices to use this symbol to express it then ok as long as it doesn't hurt anyone or property. I have to be ok with it because I know I have differen't beliefs then alot of people but I know it doesn't mean I'm more right then them or that they are bad and I'm good.

Something being good or bad, right or wrong, is an oppion. The KKK think what they do is good, so see thats there oppion, just as much as someone who thinks what they do is wrong. I'm not trying to justify anything, but they have a right to believe in anything.

Also why should they have a less of a right to show a symbol then a religion showing theres. Acorrding to there religion I'm not "good", so its symbolizing that only these people are good, just like the burning cross. (sorry that I can't explain it well)

I used people religion as an example because I've been said stuff to because I didn't believe in what they did, how did that make me feel?

anyway, I'm losing focus, and I don't want to say something that I didn't mean to anymore then I probably already did.

9:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home