Friday, December 03, 2004

A quick update

Good Morning. I have a busy day ahead so just a quick note. Not too much has happened since Wednesday so this is more of a What's up this weekend kinda post.

Tyler has been studying for a couple of weeks now in order to be prepared for Saturday. It's his first attempt at the SAT. He has high hopes. His goal is to attend UNC. Their acceptance standards are pretty high. (See UNC's Demographic Page for average incoming freshman's GPA/SAT/ACT scores)

Everyone Keep Tyler in your thoughts Saturday morning!

Karen goes to pick Bob up from school this weekend. I know he was just here for an extended weekend last week. But the local TV station called and wanted Bob to help broadcast the Durham Christmas Parade this weekend. It does not pay a whole lot but it is good experience for him. Thus the extra trip.

Kyle has been taking Golf lessons. He has hopes of getting on the school golf team. It is a pretty lofty goal since he has, before last week, never even picked up a club. But Howard and Nancy are graciously paying for a couple lessons with a pro to get him started. He will probably be out on the driving range one time or another this weekend.

Michelle has Girl Scouts this Saturday. I THINK they are going to a retirement home and do some crafts with the residence. That's kinda cool.

Karen and I are having new carpet and tile done in our house. We are going to have someone do our bathroom. I did not want to mess with doing a shower area. Too much chance of screwing something up and ending up with a saturated kitchen ceiling. Karen and I are going to tile the Kitchen and Powder Room ourselves. I need to order the tile today.

The folks that came out to measure for new carpet said we needed to order almost 2200 square feet of carpet. Now our house is 2800 square feet. A little under 600 square feet is the attic, which we carpeted already recently. We have a large kitchen 3 bathrooms and a foyer that are not carpeted.... When questioned, the carpet folks said you need to account for waste. 20% waste! I don't think so. So I measured. I added a 4-8 inches of fudge factor to each room dimension and plotted each room out on graph paper. I cut out each room, then arranged it on a scaled role of graph paper representing 12' wide. With waste and needed carpet I came up with 1704 square feet. Now I need to argue with the installers. There is no way we are going to pay for almost 500 square feet of carpet that is not going to be used.... Carpet is not something I really want to try and install but it is things like that which make me consider trying; The Bozos.

Other than that I have to replace the wax gasket under the toilet in the boys bathroom. When we put the tile down in there I must have not gotten a good seal because the toilet got clogged recently and, well, It leaked into the foyer below. Anyway I need to pull the toilet up and try again.

That's about it as far as plans go.

Have a good weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home